Please also see our other blog at

It is more active than this one. Always check there for updates, too.

Northeast Llama Rescue was started by Wes and Darcy Laraway of Middleburgh, NY.

Several years ago they rescued their first llama out of a tiny horse pen. Since that day, Northeast Llama Rescue has helped dozens of Camelids from several different states.
The primary mission of Northeast Llama Rescue is to educate owners on how to properly care for their animals.

We also offer assistance with a traveling chute to shear, worm, and trim toenails on hard to handle animals. A 'TRUE REPUTABLE BREEDER" should help out the llama down the road that is not being cared for by owners that understand the needs of llamas.

If you know of a llama owner who is no longer able to care for their animals, there is help available. Members of Northeast Llama Rescue will adopt any unwanted animals. Rescue animals will be relocated to farms of members for training and necessary vet work.

If a llama is able to be rehabilitated, he will be available after a careful screening process. All rescues are placed in homes with a contract that says they shall be provided for and can not be sold. In the event a rescue animal becomes unwanted, the llama MUST be returned to Northeast Llama Rescue.

If you share our philosophy and love for the animals, you are more than welcome to join us! There are lots of llamas that need a person to love.

We also rescue farm animals, and are licensed wildlife rehabilitators.

This site is copyrighted by Wes Laraway.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy

The hairless bunny didn't like the bottle very well
So Hannah's pet rabbit, who had babies three weeks
ago, cooperated beautifully so the baby could nurse.

I love days like today. I started in the morning with animal calls and feedings with BOD members Kelly and Gayle. Ran around like a lunatic all day, basically from one injured or hungry critter to another. Didn't get much time to work with my high school workforce today; thank God for Andy. Got a lot of paperwork and computer work done this morning, until I sent too many emails letting everyone know about our Open House and got tossed off line by my web provider....

Very few people can out work me. I start early and go to bed around 2am every day. These young adults (I hate calling teenagers kids and they are not all my students) are getting things done around here. The college supervisor Andy is awesome, keeps things going and covers for me when I am answering the phone (which never stops) or trying to figure out how I am going to save the next box that arrives. Kind of like Xmas but you can't forget about it when you are done playing with it.

It has been a slow fawn year (not that I am complaining). I love bats. I hate to admit it but I am really getting attached to my little pup (baby bat). I didn't think that he would live when I looked at him in the box a week ago. He now rules my life with his feeding schedule. They are so naughty, have a high pitched voice and try to bite you even when you are feeding them. Bats get a bad rap. 20% of all the earth's mammals are bats. You would be paying a lot more for food if it weren't for bats eating lots of bugs all night. I don't like what is going on with the white nose disease in bats right now. What is going on with honey bees bothers me also. Bats just have a bad rap because of all of the stupid vampire movies. They don't fly in your hair, few species will suck your blood and they are not the rabies infested demons that people think that they are. I've done lots of bats. I have 2 in the bat-cave right now. One is an older brown bat, don't know why it was found on the ground yet but it is eating and coming back from death. I still have to get some mites off of it but the maggots are gone. Capstar is an amazing drug. It is expensive but I use it all the time and it is awesome. The pills are tiny. When given orally or rectally they get rid of maggots, fleas and ticks within about 30 minutes. I actually put one in a ziplock bag, and slipped a little piece in this bats mouth ... no maggots.

Speaking of maggots, I got a baby coon tonight transported by North Country, came from DEC, what a mess. I've seen just about everything with a baby coon. This little guy is a mess. He had a paw caught in a foot hold trap. He has an infection in his foot, the maggots are bad. I should be the poster child for Capstar. Will someone call the folks that make those pills and ask them to send me a lot of the 2-25 pound pills. I am almost ashamed when I go to the vet, like a junkie, begging to buy more. I don't know if I can save this little coon, but I will give him 100% effort. Wish that he wasn't so cranky.

I got a Bluejay in that hit a house, I really don't know what he was thinking when he did that. Kelly got his wing wrapped up while we fed the orphans this morning. He will probably be ok. Just need some R and R which isn't easy for a Bluejay that has things to do.

I got a cottontail baby rabbit in tonight that is lucky to be alive. He got half of his ears and part of the top of his head taken off by a lawn mower. I've seen a lot but this was a first. He should have hidden a little lower. I give him a 50/50 but we are working on him. I hope the other rabbits don't make fun of him for being earless.

Had another rabbit come in tonight ... a little one. Hairless. I'm tempted to try to sneak it in with one of my daughter's rabbits new litters. I've done it before. It has worked but the risk is the mother could kill him if she realizes that we have snuck one past her. We will see tomorrow. The same person (and same bad dog) brought me a Garter Snake that looked like he had been hit by a lawn mower. I couldn't help that little snake, it was nearly in half ... I helped him get to sleep.

Speaking of getting to sleep (no not me), the sheriff's department called me today. There was a call for a cat at my bank dragging its legs on their lawn. I hate these calls. Like the dog that Kelly and I watched die a couple of days ago (hit by a car). It won't be killing my sheep anymore but I didn't want to see it dead, I just wanted it to stay home. Got in the truck with Nicole (former student, present volunteer) and got down there in a jiffy. I've caught a lot of road hit animals. This cat was feral, angry and the fastest thing that I've ever seen move on half of its legs. All I could think of was Oscar the Bobcat. I grabbed my shoulder length padded gloves from under the seat, my catch-pole, and we eventually caught the poor thing. The deputy had arranged transport to Howes Cave Animal Hospital, it never went....

Back to happy things.

As if the cosmos weren't already testing me. Another person holding a box showed up with "baby birds". I like birds a lot. They want it, want it now and don't really care about you for another 30-45 minutes (if you are lucky). A quick peek and I blurted out-loud.... "Ohhhh no, Chimney Swifts". They are tough enough to live in nest inside a chimney but a real challenge to do. They vertically perch, like to hang on sides of their container. They scream until you go to feed them then clamp their beaks shut with super glue. I tried to get them to put them back, they are here and I am going to give them 100%.

Last but not least (today) I got in a baby dove. Doves are a totally different type of feeder: different food, different equipment.... It's eating great, I like this fledgling.

Wow, really busy day. Lot to do tomorrow. Time for some Craig Ferguson Late, Late Show and a nap.

Till tomorrow,

No comments:

Northeast Llama Rescue by Wes Laraway

The Northeast Llama Rescue was started by Wes and Darcy Laraway several years ago after they rescued their first llama out of a tiny horse pen. Since that day, the Northeast Llama Rescue has helped dozens of animals in 5 states. The primary mission of Northeast Llama Rescue is to educate owners on how to care for their animals properly. We also offer assistance with a traveling chute to shear, worm and trim toenails on hard to handle animals. If owners get "tired" of the daily maintenance of their herds, members of the Northeast Llama Rescue will adopt or buy, if possible, any unwanted animals. Rescue animals go to the farms or members of the organization.

The Northeast Llama Rescue does not wish to compete with other rescue organizations, although any llama or alpaca is welcome. We need to cooperate to help ALL camelids, not just registered or "nice-looking" ones. Everyone has the right to breed and sell llamas, but a true reputable breeder will "help out" the llama down the road that is not being cared for, regardless of its age, sex or conformation.

Our last rescue came from Central New York. A farm had purchased 9 animals from a Midwest auction. Four of the animals had died from natural causes....starvation? The owner had health problems and no longer wanted the animals. After several other concerned people failed to negotiate their sale, I eventually called and within five minutes we had agreed on a price and the deal was done. The next night, Wes Laraway, Kim Scheurerman and P.J. Wagner went to pick up the animals. The owner informed us that the llamas were wild and could not be handled. Within five minutes all were calmly caught, on lead ropes and in the trailer, with us using a wand and some TEAM Training techniques. The owner thought I was the "llama whisperer" because I got those llamas to do things in five minutes that she couldn't do in a year. She unfortunately knew nothing about handling llamas.

Three hours later, we were back into quarantine at Red Maple Farm starting "damage control". The animals were immediately wormed, fed fresh hay and grain, and watered. All were body scored under three by sight and by feeling through their wool. This hands-on inspection revealed barbed wire that needed to be cut out of the fiber. We decided NOT to shear because it was too late in the year and they were too thin.

Another concern was an ingrown halter. One of the best ways to remove ingrown halters is to undo the buckle(s) and cut the nose band with sharp toenail clippers on each side of the nose. Then gradually, over time, the remaining pieces will fall out. With application of an antibiotic cream, any wounds from the ingrown halter will heal quickly. In this particular case, the halter came out of the nose and was added to the "wall of shame" in our barn (along with the barbed wire and ear tags still on them from the auction they were purchased from). The blood stream stopped within fifteen minutes and now, after a month, we can tell that scarring will be minimal. Please tell everyone you know that owns camelids, NEVER leave a halter on a llama! Even in a week, with wet conditions, a halter can embed itself in a llama's nose.

My biggest concern was the 10 month old female that was exposed to her father. If bred, we decided to abort the unborn cria for the safety and well-being of the young female. None of these five animals were over the age of three years. All of them, over the following months, would need intense care and proper nutrition. The animals were all updated on health requirements and gelded. All of these animals would need training before they could go up for adoption.

New problems continuously arose. Two weeks after they arrived, one of the females surprised us with a weak, constipated fourteen pound male cria. Within hours I knew it wasn't "normal" so mom and baby were moved to a quarantine pen in the barn. The decision was made to supplement the cria with goat colostrum and give him an enema. Although the cria was walking, he continued to strain to relieve himself. Around the clock surveillance did not reveal any nursing or defecation. At two days old, I found very small maggots between the cria's toes and by his umbilical cord. After consulting my vet again, the cria got a bath and dried out in the heated office before going back to mom in the barn. My vet explained that crias born on rainy days must be completely dry or flies will lay eggs in moist areas of umbilical fluid. I've never heard of this problem before but I know now to check my newborn crias for maggots every day. After five days of constant care, we lost "Trooper"....I guess it was not meant to be, but we tried.

The rest of the animals are doing well today. Concerned individuals found them, bought them and will protect them. Today is actually a special day, because the vet did fecals on them and all five of them are parasite free and can join our llama herd. After training and further rehabilitation, by Spring 2001 this group of animals will be available for adoption to carefully approved homes. All animals sold or placed by Northeast Llama Rescue will be adopted with a legal contract. The contract states that if the llama ever becomes unwanted or is not cared for properly, the animal will return to Red Maple Farm for a full refund. I used to think I could save every unwanted llama in the world...I know that I can't . It is too great an undertaking for one farm to rescue all the unwanted camelids out there. For this reason, several other farms have joined in the effort with Red Maple Farm to pool resources and save neglected and unwanted camelids.

Any farm that shares our philosophy that every llama deserves a life with proper care is welcome to join us. We are people who genuinely love all llamas and want to make a difference one llama at a time. Eventually we will print an educational brochure to hand out at events with member farms listed. Don't just tell people that you love your llamas; show people by making a difference and actually save one. Always quarantine new animals for at least one month while getting wormings, vaccines and nutritional needs in order. Always do a fecal exam and consult your vet about when new animals should go out with the herd. Geld all males and most of all BE PATIENT. Llamas are very forgiving animals and will learn to love and trust again with gentle care and training.