Please also see our other blog at

It is more active than this one. Always check there for updates, too.

Northeast Llama Rescue was started by Wes and Darcy Laraway of Middleburgh, NY.

Several years ago they rescued their first llama out of a tiny horse pen. Since that day, Northeast Llama Rescue has helped dozens of Camelids from several different states.
The primary mission of Northeast Llama Rescue is to educate owners on how to properly care for their animals.

We also offer assistance with a traveling chute to shear, worm, and trim toenails on hard to handle animals. A 'TRUE REPUTABLE BREEDER" should help out the llama down the road that is not being cared for by owners that understand the needs of llamas.

If you know of a llama owner who is no longer able to care for their animals, there is help available. Members of Northeast Llama Rescue will adopt any unwanted animals. Rescue animals will be relocated to farms of members for training and necessary vet work.

If a llama is able to be rehabilitated, he will be available after a careful screening process. All rescues are placed in homes with a contract that says they shall be provided for and can not be sold. In the event a rescue animal becomes unwanted, the llama MUST be returned to Northeast Llama Rescue.

If you share our philosophy and love for the animals, you are more than welcome to join us! There are lots of llamas that need a person to love.

We also rescue farm animals, and are licensed wildlife rehabilitators.

This site is copyrighted by Wes Laraway.

Thursday, November 1, 2007


I dont want to overwhelm everyone the first night I "Blog" .... I have found a very rewarding niche. I had a fawn brought to me this april. I called a good friend who is a Wildlife Rehabilitator (and has a license). My farm is open to the public, I cant do anything illegal here .... She agreed to get me a temporary license and let me apprentice under her. I feel like I can finally make a difference. Anyone can rescue a goat (not downplaying the importance of that) but to raise 9 fawns my first year, soft release and watch them make the transition back into the wild has been one of the most rewarding things that Ive ever done. I always picked up turtles out of the road and relocated them but this is a 24/7 responsibility that I love. I love trudging out to the barn every 2 hours to do bottles (I created a great way of giving bottles without hand feeding them by putting the bottles inside bleach bottles suspended upside down with the bottoms cut off). I lost one fawn that had been run over by a bush hog but I gave that one my all.

My wife and I went to a Wildlife Rehabilitators Conference 2 weekends ago. We both took our exams to be permanently licensed. I also did the Rabies Vector training so I could do mammals as well. I also completed the requirements to be a Nusaince Wildlife Control Officer. I figured that they could charge to remove wildlife. It could help support my rescue work....besides for our teaching paychecks, the dog grooming and kennel boarding facility and horse boarding/training. The highlight of my rescue work is the Peregrine Falcon that the kids at our local Karate School and I rescued from the middle of the road. peregrines are endangered species. The DEC had heard that there was a wild nest (with unbanded chicks) on the cliffs overlooking my village.... this juvenille bird probably was from that nest. The falcon had a small wing fracture. I am still hoping that it will be able to be rehabilitated from its injury and will be able to be released into the wild to hopefully breed and raise many chicks of its own.

I have also started the inspection process. The USDA, DEC, Ag and Markets, and several other agencies will be here to license and certify my facility. I am very proud of what we have built here over the last 10 years. I have always believed that a rescue facility should be open to the public. 24/7 (within reason). I have been advocating recently that there should be some accreditation process to be a rescue facility. I believe that all wildlife rehabilitators should have to have their facilities inspected also. I can take constructive criticism and I am not afraid of a "surprise" inspection because I do everything daily that I wouldnt be ashamed for anyone to see.

One of the things that I want to do on this blog is give a daily journal of the random acts of kindness that I have done for that day .... Let me translate, what animal did I rescue, what is the "story" with it. Is it available for adoption, If not ... Why and when. WITH A PHOTO of course. When an animal eventually gets adopted, I can post an adopted on the photo and maybe a first name. I am very protective over the name and address of who adopts what for 2 reasons. The most obvious, not all of the people that I "rescue" animals from need to know where their abused critters have went. I dont keep very detailed written records....I often forget where the envelope that I had that address written on is filed ....

I would rot in jail before I gave an animal back to its abusive owners with a court order. The other reason why I will respect peoples' identities is that not everyone that "donates" animals to us want everyone to know their business, health, age, and othe r problems. In order to rescue animals, you need to deal with people and I always respect their privacy. Ive picked up and placed too many animals this month to list here. Just this week after school I ve picked up 2 fawns from another Rehabilitator to be soft released with mine up on the mountain (I have a llama guarding them from the coyotes)...:) 4 geese, 20 +/- rabbits and had a horse come in for training in how to drive. Ive also found a home for an old saddle horse, an unwanted Clydesdale, 2 llamas and 4 alpacas. The most depressing part of my week thus far was my lunch break today.

We board dogs (one of the many ways we finance this place). "Buster" is a Golden Retriever that has been boarded with us for the last 4 years. He quickly made it out of the kennel and into our house. His dad owns a camp near our farm and picked Buster up on weekends when he came up from the city. Buster was going downhill fast. I know when I am fighting a losing battle and Buster was done....sick of 14 he was ready to check out. During my lunch break from school I took Buster to the local vet to go to sleep....what a good ole boy...he died with his head in my hands, wagging his tail right up to the very end...My kids and I loved Buster....just as much as I love my own Golden Retreiver, Great Dane and Border Collie. Buster will be missed. Dogs are really Gods gift to us....Ive never had a better friend than my dog(s). My dogs dont care if I have coffee breath, are always happy to see me or ride "shotgun" in the truck on rescues...Good night and rest in peace Buster....

Ive found a home for a Clydesdale, 2 llamas, 4 alpacas and 2 goats.

1 comment:

Gayze said...

Dear Buster was such a sweet boy, and I truly believe he always shall be, because they live on in spirit and in our hearts. I'm glad I got a hurried chance to see his soft eyes today, to say good bye. I'll miss him dearly in my visits to the farm.

The start to the blog is excellent, Wes and Jules. I look forward to the board meeting on the 10th.

Northeast Llama Rescue by Wes Laraway

The Northeast Llama Rescue was started by Wes and Darcy Laraway several years ago after they rescued their first llama out of a tiny horse pen. Since that day, the Northeast Llama Rescue has helped dozens of animals in 5 states. The primary mission of Northeast Llama Rescue is to educate owners on how to care for their animals properly. We also offer assistance with a traveling chute to shear, worm and trim toenails on hard to handle animals. If owners get "tired" of the daily maintenance of their herds, members of the Northeast Llama Rescue will adopt or buy, if possible, any unwanted animals. Rescue animals go to the farms or members of the organization.

The Northeast Llama Rescue does not wish to compete with other rescue organizations, although any llama or alpaca is welcome. We need to cooperate to help ALL camelids, not just registered or "nice-looking" ones. Everyone has the right to breed and sell llamas, but a true reputable breeder will "help out" the llama down the road that is not being cared for, regardless of its age, sex or conformation.

Our last rescue came from Central New York. A farm had purchased 9 animals from a Midwest auction. Four of the animals had died from natural causes....starvation? The owner had health problems and no longer wanted the animals. After several other concerned people failed to negotiate their sale, I eventually called and within five minutes we had agreed on a price and the deal was done. The next night, Wes Laraway, Kim Scheurerman and P.J. Wagner went to pick up the animals. The owner informed us that the llamas were wild and could not be handled. Within five minutes all were calmly caught, on lead ropes and in the trailer, with us using a wand and some TEAM Training techniques. The owner thought I was the "llama whisperer" because I got those llamas to do things in five minutes that she couldn't do in a year. She unfortunately knew nothing about handling llamas.

Three hours later, we were back into quarantine at Red Maple Farm starting "damage control". The animals were immediately wormed, fed fresh hay and grain, and watered. All were body scored under three by sight and by feeling through their wool. This hands-on inspection revealed barbed wire that needed to be cut out of the fiber. We decided NOT to shear because it was too late in the year and they were too thin.

Another concern was an ingrown halter. One of the best ways to remove ingrown halters is to undo the buckle(s) and cut the nose band with sharp toenail clippers on each side of the nose. Then gradually, over time, the remaining pieces will fall out. With application of an antibiotic cream, any wounds from the ingrown halter will heal quickly. In this particular case, the halter came out of the nose and was added to the "wall of shame" in our barn (along with the barbed wire and ear tags still on them from the auction they were purchased from). The blood stream stopped within fifteen minutes and now, after a month, we can tell that scarring will be minimal. Please tell everyone you know that owns camelids, NEVER leave a halter on a llama! Even in a week, with wet conditions, a halter can embed itself in a llama's nose.

My biggest concern was the 10 month old female that was exposed to her father. If bred, we decided to abort the unborn cria for the safety and well-being of the young female. None of these five animals were over the age of three years. All of them, over the following months, would need intense care and proper nutrition. The animals were all updated on health requirements and gelded. All of these animals would need training before they could go up for adoption.

New problems continuously arose. Two weeks after they arrived, one of the females surprised us with a weak, constipated fourteen pound male cria. Within hours I knew it wasn't "normal" so mom and baby were moved to a quarantine pen in the barn. The decision was made to supplement the cria with goat colostrum and give him an enema. Although the cria was walking, he continued to strain to relieve himself. Around the clock surveillance did not reveal any nursing or defecation. At two days old, I found very small maggots between the cria's toes and by his umbilical cord. After consulting my vet again, the cria got a bath and dried out in the heated office before going back to mom in the barn. My vet explained that crias born on rainy days must be completely dry or flies will lay eggs in moist areas of umbilical fluid. I've never heard of this problem before but I know now to check my newborn crias for maggots every day. After five days of constant care, we lost "Trooper"....I guess it was not meant to be, but we tried.

The rest of the animals are doing well today. Concerned individuals found them, bought them and will protect them. Today is actually a special day, because the vet did fecals on them and all five of them are parasite free and can join our llama herd. After training and further rehabilitation, by Spring 2001 this group of animals will be available for adoption to carefully approved homes. All animals sold or placed by Northeast Llama Rescue will be adopted with a legal contract. The contract states that if the llama ever becomes unwanted or is not cared for properly, the animal will return to Red Maple Farm for a full refund. I used to think I could save every unwanted llama in the world...I know that I can't . It is too great an undertaking for one farm to rescue all the unwanted camelids out there. For this reason, several other farms have joined in the effort with Red Maple Farm to pool resources and save neglected and unwanted camelids.

Any farm that shares our philosophy that every llama deserves a life with proper care is welcome to join us. We are people who genuinely love all llamas and want to make a difference one llama at a time. Eventually we will print an educational brochure to hand out at events with member farms listed. Don't just tell people that you love your llamas; show people by making a difference and actually save one. Always quarantine new animals for at least one month while getting wormings, vaccines and nutritional needs in order. Always do a fecal exam and consult your vet about when new animals should go out with the herd. Geld all males and most of all BE PATIENT. Llamas are very forgiving animals and will learn to love and trust again with gentle care and training.