Please also see our other blog at

It is more active than this one. Always check there for updates, too.

Northeast Llama Rescue was started by Wes and Darcy Laraway of Middleburgh, NY.

Several years ago they rescued their first llama out of a tiny horse pen. Since that day, Northeast Llama Rescue has helped dozens of Camelids from several different states.
The primary mission of Northeast Llama Rescue is to educate owners on how to properly care for their animals.

We also offer assistance with a traveling chute to shear, worm, and trim toenails on hard to handle animals. A 'TRUE REPUTABLE BREEDER" should help out the llama down the road that is not being cared for by owners that understand the needs of llamas.

If you know of a llama owner who is no longer able to care for their animals, there is help available. Members of Northeast Llama Rescue will adopt any unwanted animals. Rescue animals will be relocated to farms of members for training and necessary vet work.

If a llama is able to be rehabilitated, he will be available after a careful screening process. All rescues are placed in homes with a contract that says they shall be provided for and can not be sold. In the event a rescue animal becomes unwanted, the llama MUST be returned to Northeast Llama Rescue.

If you share our philosophy and love for the animals, you are more than welcome to join us! There are lots of llamas that need a person to love.

We also rescue farm animals, and are licensed wildlife rehabilitators.

This site is copyrighted by Wes Laraway.

Monday, November 5, 2007

Monday Madness

I hate mondays....I often wonder if we had 3 day weekends if we would hate Tuesdays. Busy day. Finished off a chapter with my students. Rushed out of Homework hour after school for a teacher conference with Emma's Kindergarten teacher. Picked up Jacob at Karate (Darcy got to do gymnastics with Emma). Rushed to Barbers to get the day old veggies off the roadstand (the potbelly pigs like them) and then rushed home in the dark....Maybe it is daylight savings time that is making my days shorter. Aaron, one of my HS Students that helps out around here said he saw something up on the mountain that looked like a dead eaten fawn. Hope it isnt one of my fawns , I will check it out at daylight. It would really piss me off if after 7 months of rehabilitation a coyote grabbed one of the fawns that has jumped the soft release fences up on the mountain. I know that it is nature and that the coyote has to eat but I wish he would eat a deer that I don't know.

Speaking of Wildlife Rehabilitation. Darcy and I got our "offical" test results but I dont want to smear it in her face that I got 5 points higher on it....Even though she thought she got a 100 and I took the exam after I had already taken the Nusiance Wildlife Control Officers exam 5 mins prior. ... It is alright Darcy, I will still let you do a late night fawn feed at 2 am when I cant move anymore. I emailed Chris at DEC to get the interview, get the Rabies Vector facility inspection (another class and certification)so that we can do baby mammal wildlife rehab next spring. I have already submitted the paperwork for the Nusiance Wildlife Control Officer certification. I thought that if I am doing all sorts of wildlife rehab now that I might as well get the State DEC license to charge people to get rid of their "pests". Combine all of this with the USDA license, I should be set to take in just about any animal (legally) that I run into. I still have to stay focused on getting a pen together for a redfox that is deaf and needs a new caretaker. A bunch of Nigali Antelope that are still looking for a place to call home after the CGF auction. Now since the septic is done, Maybe I can focus on the barn, rescues that are waiting for me and upcoming winter.

My emails were busy today as usual. I think that I have found a home for some of the Australian Diamond Doves that I picked up, some bunnies that my daughter got from a friend and put some more great folks on the llama waiting list for the next pair of animals that come in that are kid 4 H potential projects with strong parental support .(I wont give kids animals).....I work with parents, with the stipulation that the animals MUST come back here if they are unwanted or uncared for. Ive sold just about all of the horse drawn equipment that I have to pay my taxes and finish the projects at the farm. I still have a sleigh and a Draft Horse Show Cart that I am going to sell to try to get in the blue again. I hate this time of year. It is a long payless summer as teachers, then we get back in school and get hit with school taxes....What is worse, property taxes right after the holidays...:) I think that I am leaving the Clydesdale phase of my life. I will keep the old guys until they are buried here but I have lost the desire to drive a 4,6 and 8 horse hitch competitively. It is very expensive, I feel guilty spending all of the money on them that should be going to my rescue work. I think that I will eventually just keep a team to plug around the farm, train horses that come in to be boarded and enjoy watching my girls do all the crazy things that I used to do on horses when I was their age...I love taking my gang to Western pleasure Shows in the summer. The girls all ride horses that Ive rescued and most of the time they/we place in the top 3.

Darcy has been going full speed ahead tonight. Packing for a teacher convention in Texas, preparing us meals for the next week (so I dont order take-out) and "training me" on everything that she is afraid that I'll forget with the kids while she is gone....The start of another week....I really guess that it isnt so bad. Lot to do before the weather gets bad and the phone starts ringing for animals that need a home for the winter.

I want to end with giving a plug for John katz. Yesterday the Sunday Morning show did a profile on him. A friend Teri Conroy gave me a bunch of his (autographed) books as a gift for hauling some llamas for her. I spend most of my time researching animals, little time to "pleasure read"....I emailed John to let him know that I love his books, he emailed me back. As my Border Collie lies by my chair, I can feel his love for his Bedlam farm. I encourage you to grab his books. I have read 4 of his "Border Collie - Farming Books"...he is great. I saw that he had a new bestseller in the airport bookstore on my way to a conference in Rome last month. It was 26 bucks, I think that I will see if the library has it...(Sorry John).

Enough rambling for one night, Wes

No comments:

Northeast Llama Rescue by Wes Laraway

The Northeast Llama Rescue was started by Wes and Darcy Laraway several years ago after they rescued their first llama out of a tiny horse pen. Since that day, the Northeast Llama Rescue has helped dozens of animals in 5 states. The primary mission of Northeast Llama Rescue is to educate owners on how to care for their animals properly. We also offer assistance with a traveling chute to shear, worm and trim toenails on hard to handle animals. If owners get "tired" of the daily maintenance of their herds, members of the Northeast Llama Rescue will adopt or buy, if possible, any unwanted animals. Rescue animals go to the farms or members of the organization.

The Northeast Llama Rescue does not wish to compete with other rescue organizations, although any llama or alpaca is welcome. We need to cooperate to help ALL camelids, not just registered or "nice-looking" ones. Everyone has the right to breed and sell llamas, but a true reputable breeder will "help out" the llama down the road that is not being cared for, regardless of its age, sex or conformation.

Our last rescue came from Central New York. A farm had purchased 9 animals from a Midwest auction. Four of the animals had died from natural causes....starvation? The owner had health problems and no longer wanted the animals. After several other concerned people failed to negotiate their sale, I eventually called and within five minutes we had agreed on a price and the deal was done. The next night, Wes Laraway, Kim Scheurerman and P.J. Wagner went to pick up the animals. The owner informed us that the llamas were wild and could not be handled. Within five minutes all were calmly caught, on lead ropes and in the trailer, with us using a wand and some TEAM Training techniques. The owner thought I was the "llama whisperer" because I got those llamas to do things in five minutes that she couldn't do in a year. She unfortunately knew nothing about handling llamas.

Three hours later, we were back into quarantine at Red Maple Farm starting "damage control". The animals were immediately wormed, fed fresh hay and grain, and watered. All were body scored under three by sight and by feeling through their wool. This hands-on inspection revealed barbed wire that needed to be cut out of the fiber. We decided NOT to shear because it was too late in the year and they were too thin.

Another concern was an ingrown halter. One of the best ways to remove ingrown halters is to undo the buckle(s) and cut the nose band with sharp toenail clippers on each side of the nose. Then gradually, over time, the remaining pieces will fall out. With application of an antibiotic cream, any wounds from the ingrown halter will heal quickly. In this particular case, the halter came out of the nose and was added to the "wall of shame" in our barn (along with the barbed wire and ear tags still on them from the auction they were purchased from). The blood stream stopped within fifteen minutes and now, after a month, we can tell that scarring will be minimal. Please tell everyone you know that owns camelids, NEVER leave a halter on a llama! Even in a week, with wet conditions, a halter can embed itself in a llama's nose.

My biggest concern was the 10 month old female that was exposed to her father. If bred, we decided to abort the unborn cria for the safety and well-being of the young female. None of these five animals were over the age of three years. All of them, over the following months, would need intense care and proper nutrition. The animals were all updated on health requirements and gelded. All of these animals would need training before they could go up for adoption.

New problems continuously arose. Two weeks after they arrived, one of the females surprised us with a weak, constipated fourteen pound male cria. Within hours I knew it wasn't "normal" so mom and baby were moved to a quarantine pen in the barn. The decision was made to supplement the cria with goat colostrum and give him an enema. Although the cria was walking, he continued to strain to relieve himself. Around the clock surveillance did not reveal any nursing or defecation. At two days old, I found very small maggots between the cria's toes and by his umbilical cord. After consulting my vet again, the cria got a bath and dried out in the heated office before going back to mom in the barn. My vet explained that crias born on rainy days must be completely dry or flies will lay eggs in moist areas of umbilical fluid. I've never heard of this problem before but I know now to check my newborn crias for maggots every day. After five days of constant care, we lost "Trooper"....I guess it was not meant to be, but we tried.

The rest of the animals are doing well today. Concerned individuals found them, bought them and will protect them. Today is actually a special day, because the vet did fecals on them and all five of them are parasite free and can join our llama herd. After training and further rehabilitation, by Spring 2001 this group of animals will be available for adoption to carefully approved homes. All animals sold or placed by Northeast Llama Rescue will be adopted with a legal contract. The contract states that if the llama ever becomes unwanted or is not cared for properly, the animal will return to Red Maple Farm for a full refund. I used to think I could save every unwanted llama in the world...I know that I can't . It is too great an undertaking for one farm to rescue all the unwanted camelids out there. For this reason, several other farms have joined in the effort with Red Maple Farm to pool resources and save neglected and unwanted camelids.

Any farm that shares our philosophy that every llama deserves a life with proper care is welcome to join us. We are people who genuinely love all llamas and want to make a difference one llama at a time. Eventually we will print an educational brochure to hand out at events with member farms listed. Don't just tell people that you love your llamas; show people by making a difference and actually save one. Always quarantine new animals for at least one month while getting wormings, vaccines and nutritional needs in order. Always do a fecal exam and consult your vet about when new animals should go out with the herd. Geld all males and most of all BE PATIENT. Llamas are very forgiving animals and will learn to love and trust again with gentle care and training.